Putting the fun back in dysfunctional.
Tag Archives: Second Chance Romance
I’ve wanted my own domain since was I was eighteen and I read feminist blogs and didn’t shave my legs ’cause I thought it was a cool feminist thing to do. (Now I just don’t because I’m lazy and busy).
And it just never happened until this week. I’ve transferred everything from this blog to the new website.
I am not in love with the theme. But I have to stop playing with it right now and do some writing. I loved the theme I had before this one, it was so pretty. But the comments were broken.
I am having trouble finding one I like, with a customizable header and custom colors and three column.
My big problem is I want SHINY things I’ve seen on other websites. I want my books featured on a side column. I want a custom blog. I want a custom site.
I want champagne. My budget is more box wine.
Or more get a hot guy to buy you a drink and then walk away with it. Does anyone know a hot guy programmer who will set me up a blog for the joy of it?
Me neither. There’s part of me that wishes that I had gone in for computer science. really shoulda done that instead of English Major. There are no jobs with English Major as a pre-requisite. I never did finish it either. I dropped out after I failed English 110 my first year.
So I guess you are probably wondering where this new site is.
yes asraidevin DOT com. is my website. simple, easy, to the point.
Maybe in a bit I’ll hire someone to set up a website/blog. Or I’ll find a theme I really love. I do love my header or a couple snuggling on a picnic blanket. Anyway, I’ll probably post here when I put up a new blog over there, with a link. Once the new site starts getting my search engine traction I’ll phase this site out. Or not. maybe I’ll just transform this into my non writer blog where I write about … well never mind that’s another point.
I am trying to figure out a new posting schedule and new topics to bring. My number one goal is to show case some other authors, have guests posts and the like, to gain more visibility and keep myself motivated. Have to post when you promised someone else. I’d be a hermit if I could or just talk about myself. No one wants that.
1. Get outside during the day. It’s pretty basic, but we get busy and it’s cold, we just don’t get out in the sunlight. I looked at the sunrise and sunset for today (12/12/12) it was 8:36 sunrise and 4:01 sunset!! That’s seven and a half hours of sunlight. And if it’s cloudy, it’s even worse.
2. Move your body. For me this is the key, since getting outside with a toddler when it’s -30 C just isn’t feasible. If I do a bit of movement every other day, this keeps me saner.
3. Supplements. There are a number of supplements, vitamins and minerals you can take to help. Of course, check with a health care
professional before you start anything. This is just what works for me and some others.
- Vitamin D. This is the vitamin we get from the sun, so when you aren’t getting sun, you aren’t getting this important vitamin. I take a couple thousand some days, usually not even that much. the RDI is 400 IU for children and 600 IU for adults. Upper limits for Vitamin D are 1000 for children and 4,000 IU for adults. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/vitamin/vita-d-eng.php
- Magnesium. This is often taken in conjunction with calcium and vitamin D, as you need all three for teeth and bones (and possible vitamin k). But you can take it on it’s own. Some claim that it’s necessary to take it on it’s own and that a lot of common ailments are a lack of magnesium. I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s on my radar. Miracle of Magnesium.
- Omega-3’s. Fatty acids are important for the brain, because your brain is made up of fat. The best way to get your Omega-3s is to eat fish. I take a supplement. Asrai no likey fish.
- 5-HTP. This is a funny one for me. It’s a precursor to serotonin 5-HTP is made from tryptophan, which is the part of turkey that makes people sleepy, in the body. But a bad batch of tryptophan in 1989 got it banned by the FDA in the US, and 5-HTP took it’s place. Reference: http://www.wellnessletter.com/ucberkeley/dietary-supplements/5-htp/ The supplement is supposed to help with sleep. I take it and I’m wired, up to all hours. I take mine in the morning to combat this.
- L-Phenylalanine. An amnion acid, it helps your body make L-Tyrosine which in turn makes dopamine and norepinephrine. I take this in the morning as well, and sometimes during the day on a empty stomach for an extra boost. You don’t want to take it too close to bedtime.
- L-Tryosine. This works the same as L-Phenylalanine but faster. I get a pretty quick boost in energy when I take it. The bottle I have says for short term use in physically stressful situations, so I save it for days I know I’m tired or if I have a lot to do.
- B-complex. B vitamins are a good energy booster as well, so you have to make sure you don’t take it too close to bedtime. As well, an excess is eliminated in your urine, so your pee will be super yellow.
- GABA is another amino acid for anxiety. I’m finding my moods are managed under 5-HTP and L-phen, so I haven’t taken any GABA myself. But it’s also on my radar.
4. Consider an anti-depressant. I learned about these supplements in the book “The Female Brain Gone Insane” which was an interesting read. The author, Mia Lundin, is a registered nurse and a nurse practitioner, says that anti-depressants don’t help your body make new serotonin they just recycle what’s there.
Last anti-depressant I took, I was literally vibrating at the lowest dose and a very short time taking them. My husband told me I had to
5. If you are on hormonal birth control, consider making a switch. This is personal, the Pill and the shot, make me depressed. I was on
the shot for a couple years before it started affecting me. But after that even two weeks on The Pill would affect me. This is no
longer a consideration since I got a tubal litigation.
6. Tan. My sister in law says tanning helps her mood. I don’t have the time, money or desire to tan (hello skin cancer). If I had that kind of money, I’d buy the SAD lamp.
7. Get a SAD lamp. Sometimes if your doctor gives you a prescription, your insurance will pay for some or all.
I have a new doctor. It’s a big deal because I live in a town where there are no doctors.
So I was filling out the questionnaire. And here are the ways I would have liked to fill out some of the questions.
Birth date: Old enough to know better, young enough to try again if the first time was fun.
Previous or current conditions: slight moments of sanity while I try to keep the kids happy and fed, the house chaos to a minimum and find time to fulfill my goals in life. Also, stress.
Do you drink alcohol? See above.
How much? Not as much as I’d like to, I try to keep it to special occasions. Weekends are special occasions right?
How often do you exercise? I have a two year old, who needs to exercise, just follow him around keeping him from harming himself and cleaning up his mess. Also sometimes I walk the dog, but it’s really freaking cold out.
Hobbies and activities? (Left it blank because I assume they meant physical ones). I thought about saying “I spend my spare time getting older daughter to her activities, cleaning house and preparing nutritious yet appetizing meals for my family. What do you do in your spare time? sometimes I crochet, had to stop knitting, kids kept trying to poke each other with the needles”.
Heart attack: Grandfather? Maybe.
Mental illness: Where should I start? My family is dysfunctional, but I think it’s pretty average unbalanced issues. Nothing requiring medication or hospitalization.
Previous Surgery: they took out the optional pieces: tonsils as child, appendix as a young adult, closed up my uterine access to my fallopian tubes.
well next week I’ll have a fun story to tell you all about how my son had to have four teeth removed at age 2.
I’m trying to just stick with the free stock photography place stock xchng. Here’s my profile: http://www.sxc.hu/profile/asraidevin
Which you cant’ really see anything at since I don’t really have pictures worth sharing. Light boxes appear to be private.
Anyway, a group I belong to ended up discussing, among other things, being addicted to covers and /or stockphotography. Some people even said they would find pictures they loved and try to write a story for the cover.
Not sure I could do that. Though I did find this picture: http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1094532 who made me think of Zack who may or may not be my new hero. I’m working out some kinks with Zack’s plot line. (Which reminds me, if you see me on Twitter ask me if I have been doing my morning pages).
Where was I? Got distracted by the pretty.
I just think up random words to search: passion, love, kiss, rain, hockey, paper. Whatever strikes my fancy. And then I save pictures to my lightbox and then later I look through them and wonder why I saved some of the things I did, then I delete them.
What pictures do you like? What words would you search?
ps. happy birthday to my high school crush. yes I remember things like that!
Sit up straight, align your head with your body and take a few deep breaths. You probably need to, I know I do.
Roll your head around a few times (skip looking up to the ceiling if you are worried about that issue). If you can stand up and touch your goes, so a bit of movement and stretching.
Take a few minutes to wake up your body, stretching, get a drink of water. Look out a window, connect with someone. Enjoy the rest of your day.
If you fit in a group, there is a tumblr for you.
Mine is short people problems. I am 5 feet 2 and a half inches tall. That is 157 and a half centimetres tall.
When you are this tall, those half inches count A LOT.
Most of my shoes are size 5. Except my boots had to be a 7. Which was really funny because my son wears a 7 in shoes and I had to buy him a 5 in boots.
Anyway, I am small.
I learned to hem this week from Pinterest with the original hem. Search it!
I used to be an educational assistant in a grade 5/6 class. The girls were all hitting their growth spurts, and they all loved to come up to me and say “I’m taller than you Mrs. Devin.”
really? I hadn’t noticed. There were days I was afraid Administration would come into the room and wonder where the teacher was. *sigh*
What is your “problem”?
I was thinking about What Ifs and writing from last week.
Writing is about examining the what ifs. We see a situation and add a what if … spin and come up with an original idea.
Or we find a character we love and throw her into a situation and ask what does she need to grow and change, and what force would be the one to force her outside her comfort zone.
It’s part of why I wrote Colors of the Rain. I once went to visit a boy who I thought was the love of my life. He turned out to be terrified once he had gotten what he wanted, me to love him and sleep with him, and I spent two weeks in hell with him. I imagined while I was wandering around some town in South Dakota, can’t recall the name, anyway, I imagined just disappearing. What would it be like? And that question haunted me for years. Until I wrote that story, then it went away.
What ideas do you have that you’d like to explore? Would you, could you explore them through writing, through photography or another form of art?
I noticed this phenomena the other day. Not name dropping other artissts, but name dropping the person singing. It’s mostly in duets, but the occasional artist will name themselves (or Jagger).
Shakira and Beyonce in Beautiful Liar. (I like the song)
Justin Beiver and Nicki Minaj in Beauty and the Beat (also Nicki Minaj in Super Bass).
J-Lo ft. Pitbull in Get on The Floor.
I found a whole list of songs who reference OTHER bands/artists etal. You can read that list here: http://www.songfacts.com/category-songs_that_mention_other_musicians_in_the_lyrics.php
I think it’s just such a weird trend. Every time it happens I think “well no one is ever going to remake that song”. And then I realize that hopefully, none of these songs that I’m listening to are going to be considered decent listening in 10 years. I’m still coming to terms with 90’s music being called “classic”. I am not that old for my music to be CLASSIC Rock already. no no no.
Any music trends that bug you? Or that you like?